Skip to content
Martha Glowacki

Martha Glowacki was born in Milwaukee in 1950. As a girl she enjoyed visiting the city's Public Museum, where she and her friend first saw skeletons and were inspired to make their own display of a collection of cow bones. Her mother was very supportive of her designing and collecting and building, and her father spent time teaching her photography and letting her work in his dark room, mixing chemicals and manipulating his enlarger. He built cabinetry and she helped him; he let her use his tools, if she put them away. Martha wanted to be an archeologist, a museum preparator, or a scientific illustrator, but she decided instead to become an artist.

Martha Glowacki is currently a resident of rural Sauk City, Wisconsin, where she has a studio in her home surrounded by woods and a marsh. She holds an M.F.A. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and has shown her work at the Elvehjem Museum of Art, Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, the Michael Lord Gallery in Milwaukee and the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design. She participated in the John Michael Kohler Arts Center arts/industry residency in 1993 and 1995. She was the director of the Gallery of Design on the campus of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and is currently co-director of the James Watrous Gallery of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters. Her sculpture has been collected by the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, the Chazen (formerly Elvehjem) Museum of Art, and the John Michael Kohler Arts Center.